Temples within Chennai CityChinnakadai Sri Mariamman or Renuka Parameswari Temple
Located at the NSC Bose road in the Mint street junction at Sowcarpet, the highlights of this tiny temple being:
- More than 200 years old, artistically done temple
- In the sanctum sanctorum, the goddess is present in two forms - as Seethala Devi in full human form and as Renuka Parameswari with her whole body below the earth and only the head above the earth.
- Kasi Viswanathar in linga form along with Kasi Visalakshi is also present
- Camphor burns always in front of the temple - It is believed that the Goddess gives dharshan in the form of light (deepam). It is believed that lighting camphor in front of the temple for Rs 5.25 during the Brahma Muhurtham (4:30 AM to 5:30 AM) will get one’s wish fulfilled within 11 days.
- The steps to the ambal shrine are very powerful since the Goddess was initially present here and later shifted backwards to accommodate more crowd.
- During Fridays, the temple will be kept open till 12 midnight
- Worshipped by Vallalar and Vivekanandhar
- Hanging a garland of a lemon with 7 green chillies at house entrance after the pooja here will remove all the dhrishties and bad vibrations.